Thursday, April 25, 2013

Finding the Motivation to Get Motivated

In spite of my best efforts to stay "in the moment" today, my mind keeps wandering to thoughts of summer and - naturally - riding my bike. In Minneapolis, we love to bike and many of us do it in all kinds of weather, but I'll admit that my bike is more of a "fair weather friend." Although I can generally handle the cold, I'm not much for navigating the ice floes that form along our residential streets during the winter.

I'm eager to get back out there to explore my neighborhood on two wheels. I'm also thinking that this is the year I finally tackle some longer rides and get out of the city a bit. I'm excited to start to build up my endurance and get back in shape after this long, long winter hibernation. Admittedly, I haven't been so great about keeping up with my exercise routine this winter, and I'm trying to find the motivation to get up and start being more consistent.

Here are some quick tips - and web resources - that I've found from my own experience and others' advice that will help you build your motivation to whip yourself into shape.

1. Have a goal. Make it as concrete as possible, with a specific deadline. Most people can have the best intentions ("I want to be healthy for my children," "I want to feel better about myself," etc.), but such vague - albeit well-meaning - goals can be tough to measure and it's hard to know when you actually get there! Make it quantifiable: it can be a certain amount of pounds you want to lose by a certain date, or that you want your cholesterol and blood pressure to be down to a healthy range by your next doctor's visit, or that you want to be able to run a 5K. There's a fantastic website called 43things.com that is all about goal-setting. You can create a list of as many as 43 goals, then post entries about your progress and interact with people who are working on the same goal as you. It's awesome!



2. Create accountability. So let's say you want to run a 5K. Find out when there will be a 5K in your area and sign yourself up. Tell everyone you're doing it. Invite friends to come see. By the time you've done so, you'll definitely be motivated not to back out. You can also hire a personal trainer or health coach to help keep you on track - there are a lot of great people out there doing this good work, and you can surely find someone you'll be happy to work with. Here's a website where you can find the top-rated health coaches in your area.

3. Do something you actually enjoy. If someone comes into my clinic and says, "I want to get in shape, but I hate working out," I ask them, "What do you like to do that's active? Anything?" Usually I can draw out at least one thing that the person enjoys doing that also gets their heart pumping. Then I say, "Do more of that!" You don't have to start lifting weights and doing squats to be healthy and do your body a lot of good. You can improve your health and increase your lifespan by doing just 15 minutes of cardio a day! It's unlikely that you'll be shedding pounds quickly or getting six-pack abs at this pace, but everything helps. Just pick what you like to do and do it for a half-hour every day - walk, bike, dance, chase your dog, garden, swim... If you find something you like to do, you'll start to look forward to doing it!

Hiking is better with a few dozen of your best buds!

4. Buddy up. You may notice that while some of your friends are wonderfully supportive of your efforts to get healthy, others seem almost determined to steer you woefully off-course. And with so many of our social gatherings revolving around food and drink, swearing off your vices can make you feel like a social pariah. As a response to this, my friend created an awesome group called Buds of Spring, in which he asked his friends to join him in taking a month-long pledge to exercise for 30 minutes a day and abstain from alcohol, coffee, and smoking for one month. From March 20th to April 20th, he hosted fun events, posted encouraging words and member profiles on social media, and even got sponsors. This year - their 3rd - 150 people took the pledge! Try reaching out to your own friends to join you in taking a similar pledge. Even if it's just two of you sharing recipes and workout tips on Pinterest, at least you won't feel so alone!

A little donut burger action for your "cheat day." Why not, if you've been doing everything else right?

5. Reward yourself. When something is forbidden, it gains a certain power over us. This is why I hate fad diets that are built around the central concept that one food group must be completely avoided. At no point will that food hold such an allure as when you know you can't have it! It's better to teach yourself to enjoy things in moderation. Pick one night a week where you will go out for a glass of wine (or whatever your chosen weakness may be), and a really nice dinner. Or take a walk with the kids to the ice cream store on Saturdays and indulge in the good stuff. Make it a ritual and really enjoy every bite. You will feel so much more satisfied if you eat one chocolate eclair with complete presence of mind rather than sitting in front of the TV snarfing down an entire bag of chips. 

These tips are just the beginning. What have you learned about staying motivated to work out? 

No comments:

Post a Comment